HTML (the Hypertext Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) are two of the core technologies for building Web pages. HTML is used for the creation of the webpages and CSS is used to control the styling and layout of web pages.
Key Differences Between HTML and CSS
- HTML is the basic markup language which describes the content and structure of the web pages. On the other hand, CSS is the extension to the HTML which modifies the design and display of the web pages.
- HTML file can contain CSS code while CSS stylesheets can never contain HTML code in it.
- HTML comprises of tags surrounding content. Whereas CSS comprised of selectors succeeded by a declaration block.
Advantages of HTML
- Simple to use and have loose syntax (although, being too flexible will not abide by with standards).
- Widely used, established on nearly every website and supported by every browser.
- Analogous to XML syntax, which used to an increasing extent for data storage.
- It is free as you need not buy any software.
- Easy to learn and code even to beginners.
Advantages of CSS
- CSS conserves your time by writing CSS one time and reusing the same sheet in several pages.
- Pages consume less time for loading due to less the code.
- Easy to maintain, global changes are easy to employ.
- CSS has better styles to HTML and a much broader range of attributes.
- Provision of multiple device compatibility.
- Now HTML attributes are being deplored, and it is being advised to use CSS in all the HTML pages to make them compatible with future browsers.
- Supports offline browsing with the help of an offline cache.
- The script gives persistent platform independence and can support latest browsers as well.
Disadvantages of HTML
- As it is a static language, It cannot generate dynamic output.
- Offers limited security features.
Disadvantages of CSS
Fragmentation – CSS renders different dimensions with each browser. Programmers should consider and test all code across multiple browsers before taking any website, or mobile application live so that no compatibility issues would arise.