What is SASS ?
Sass (which stands for ‘Syntactically awesome style sheets) is an extension of CSS that enables you to use things like variables, nested rules, inline imports and more. It also helps to keep things organised and allows you to create style sheets faster.In short, sass is a CSS preprocessor, which adds special features such as variables, nested rules and into regular CSS. The aim is to make the coding process simpler and more efficient.
What is CSS ?
Difference b/w SASS and CSS
- SCSS contains all the features of CSS and contains more features that are not present in CSS which makes it a good choice for developers to use it.
- SCSS is full of advanced features.
- SCSS offers variables, you can shorten your code by using variables. It is a great advantage over conventional CSS.
- Knowing SCSS helps you to customize Bootstrap 4.
- At last, what makes SASS a good option to use is that it is well documented.
SASS or CSS Which is Better ?
SASS is definitely better than CSS because it provides so many more features than CSS.
Advantages of using SASS are:
- SCSS allows us to declare and define variables, which finally helps us to normalize the code and reduce the redundancy.
- SCSS is more expressive
We can compress several lines of code in SASS syntax into much less number of lines of SCSS. In SCSS, the standard lines can also be compressed when I’m doing something complicated and can be expanded again for reference.
- It encourages proper nesting of rules
If you use the comma operator at a high level, it increases the file size of the final CSS. This can result in making the code really hard to perform overriding of rules.
- SCSS allows the user to write better inline documentation
SASS is flexible with comments, but any good developer will prefer inline documentation which is available in SCSS. Inline documentation makes the lines of code self explanatory.
- Integrating existing CSS tools and CSS codebase is much easier
Syntax highlighting widely used CSS tool and is supported in SCSS. SCSS allows you use the existing code, and help improve its internal structure without altering the external behavior of the code.
To know how to use sass visit official its website .