Before we start with types of SEO let’s just first understand what is SEO? SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and it is the process of increasing the number of visitors on your site by ranking better on Google SERPs for relevant keywords or search phrases within your domain.
In this post, we will explain to you 7 different types of SEO & how they are important to plan your organic search strategy to rank higher in organic search listings amongst your competitors.
- White-Hat SEO: Generally, white hat SEO refers to any practice that improves your search rankings on a search engine results page (SERP) while maintaining the integrity of your website and staying within the search engines’ terms of service. These tactics stay within the bounds as defined by Google.
- Black hat SEO: Black hat SEO refers to a set of practices that are used to increases a site or page’s rank in search engines through means that violate the search engines’ terms of service.
- Grey hat SEO: Grey Hat SEO is the practice of using technically legal methods to improve your site rankings, but which are ethically dubious, and could one day become black hat. Think of it like legal highs.
- Negative SEO: Negative SEO is any malicious attempt taken against your site in an attempt to harm your rankings.
Negative search engine optimization isn’t necessarily the result of your competitors trying to outrank you. Although most people assume that negative SEO happens when a competitor attacks you, it can also be the result of an individual with a vendetta and significant SEO resources at their disposal.
- On page SEO: On-page SEO is the practice of optimizing individual web pages in order to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic in search engines. On-page refers to both the content and HTML source code of a page that can be optimized, as opposed to off-page SEO which refers to links and other external signals.
- Off page SEO: “Off-Page SEO” refers to all of the activities that you and others do away from your website to raise the ranking of a page with search engines. … On-page search engine optimization happens within the site, while off-page SEO happens outside the site.
- Technical SEO: Technical SEO refers to the process of optimizing your website for the crawling and indexing phase. With technical SEO, you can help search engines access, crawl, interpret and index your website without any problems.