Web development is the work involved in developing a website for the internet ( world wide web) or an infra net (a private network). Web development can range from development a simple single static page of plain text to complex web-based internet applications (web apps), electronic businesses, and social network services. A more comprehensive list of tasks to which web development commonly refers, may include web engineering, web design , web content development, client liaison, client-side/server-side scripting, web server and network security configuration, and e-commerce development.
Among web professionals, “web development” usually refers to the main non-design aspects of building websites: writing markup and coding. Web development may use content management systems (CMS) to make content changes easier and available with basic technical skills.
Advantages of web development
- Web apps are developed with programming languages such as HTML and CSS, which are well known among IT professionals.
- Unlike native apps, a single web app is able to reach out to all devices. Its programmed to run on any operating systems. It must appropriately adapt to iOS, android and windows phone- among-st other operating systems.
- These apps run on the devices own web browser through a simple URL.
- They don’t need to be download and installed from app stores like Google play or apples app store. This translates into money-saving since having a direct link through a web app is free.
- They may also open websites. This means that they don’t require to be updated in the way common apps do. In this sense, its website to which the application is linked that will be updated.
- On the other hand, a web app’s development time is lower. Hence it’s lower price.
Disadvantages of web development
- As we indicated previously, a single web app is able to reach out to all devices. The website must, of course, be programmed in a way it can be shown regardless of the devices operating system. If it’s not a responsive website, you could experience problems when displaying it on iOS, android, or windows phone.
- You will have to spend the money you intended to save developing the application in improving your website. It’s of no use to make a web app if you don’t adapt your website in a way it can be shown with quality on any device. Let’s keep in mind that the updates are done on your website and not on your web app.
- If your website undergoes any kind of issue, your application will be in trouble too. Don’t assume that your web app will work perfectly if you don’t have a quality corporate website.
- It will also lose visibility as it will not be on display in the stores.
- In addition, there will be some access restrictions as to certain hardware features of the device it’s running on.
MOST RELEVANT KINDS OF WEB APPS:
After having discussed the pros and cons of web apps, we want to remind you of an article that analysed the 6 most relevant kinds of web application development.
This classifications is made based on how web apps show the content they handle. We could distinguish up to 6 different kinds of web apps:
- Static web application
- Dynamic web application
- Online store or e-commerce
- Portal web app
- Animated web application
- Web application with a content management system
Importance of web development
As you can see, there are ways to promote without investing heavily into a web presence. However, having your own website is much more beneficial, and here are 7 reasons why your business should eventually move to owning a website:
- Full Design Control
Your company may change or adjust the range of products you provide, pricing policy (holiday discounts, etc.) or even company structure, which you need to reflect on your page. Owning a website allows much more detailed customization, as compared to using a landing page.
- Increasing Brand Awareness
Having a website allows adding a avionic to the page, creating RSS-feed to keep your audience tuned on latest updates, using comments to gather valuable customer feedback and replying to it, posting links to your site at forums and blogs. Many additional tools allow increasing brand awareness and customer pool.
- Saving Money on Advertising
Instead of paying for expensive offline and online ads, you can invest into SEO-promotion of your own page, which brings lasting results, as the funds you spend to promote your own page are the funds well spent. However, please do not mistake paid traffic Rudy Mendoza mentioned with investment into high-quality content, responsive website design, market trends analysis and well-thought special offers.
- Saving Time on Asking Questions
Whenever your customers need to know something about your business, having a contact form, a live chat, an option to comment or a phone number is a step towards them, which increases a possibility of sealing the deal.
- Confirming Your Credibility
Everybody understands that building a professional website involves some serious investment, which most likely means the company is not going to disappear the next day, so the customers are more prone to order from you.
- Referral Programs and Discounts
Having your own page allows implementing a referral program or issuing discounts to your customers through the billing system. This is a feature free ad boards and social network groups cannot provide.
- Your Website Works 247
Ticket system allows accepting and invoicing orders even if you aren’t in the office, meaning that the website can earn money while you sleep.